top of page
electronic travel authorization

From May 1, 2017, some citizens of Brazil will be eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), instead of a visitor visa, to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.

Who can apply for an eTA?

You can request an eTA if:

  • You have obtained a Canadian visitor visa in the last 10 years, or

  • have a valid non-immigrant visa for the United States,

and if you are:

  • flying or transiting through a Canadian airport using a valid Brazilian passport; and

  • coming for a short visit, tourism or business (as a rule for a stay of up to 6 months).

If you already have a valid Canadian visitor visa, you can travel to or transit through Canada until the expiration date stated on it.


ATTENTION: This electronic travel authorization serves to enter or transit Canada by air, whether you are going by land or sea, this eTA is not ideal for you.

Most candidates pass in minutes. However, some requests may take several days to be processed and submission of supporting documents may be requested. To avoid delays on your trip, it is best to obtain an eTA before booking your airline ticket to Canada.


An eTA can be valid for up to five years or until your passport expires. If you take out a new passport, you will need to apply for a new eTA. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you like for short stays (usually up to six months at a time).

what is the price of this electronic travel authorization eta?

The eTA is charged directly from the Canadian consulate website and costs CAD 7.00.

bottom of page